This is a lovely twist on the traditional Oeuf en Meurette dish, using our oyster mushrooms and pumpkin that is in season at the moment.
It’s been created for Espresso Mushroom Company by Jean-Christophe Martin of L’Eglise, Hove. If you like the sound of this dish, you’ll love his rich style cuisine.
Autumn Oeuf en Meurette Recipe
By October 29, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Oeuf en Meurette with cumin sautéed Espresso Mushroom Co Oyster Mushrooms on smoked paprika toast and roasted pumpkin.
- 8 eggs
- 1 bouquet Oyster Mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 small pumpkin or a few pieces of a larger one!
- 1 bottle red wine
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 100 g Pancetta chopped into small pieces
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- 1 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 25 g butter
- Chervil as a garnish
- Peel the pumpkin, and cut into strips. Place in oven dish with butter and roast at 1800C until al dente.
- Pour the wine into small saucepan along with the pink peppercorns, and bay leaves and reduce it until half the liquid has evaporated and the wine sauce has thickened. Pass through a sieve and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, start poaching the eggs – it takes aprox 4 mins to get a nice soft yoke.
- Briefly fry the bread in a hot pan with butter and a sprinkling of smoked paprika until it turns golden. Remove from pan and place on kitchen paper. In same pan, sear the pancetta for couple of minutes and add to the reduced wine sauce.
- Using the same frying pan, now add butter, shallots, crushed cumin seeds and the oyster mushrooms. Sautee for 4 minutes, tossing the pan to cook evenly.
- To Serve:
Add a knob of butter to the wine sauce to give it rich velvety texture.
- Pour generous serving of wine sauce into bottom of large pasta plate, then add one egg at the centre, place the slice of fried bread on top, then place the sautéed oyster mushrooms and roasted pumpkin on the toast and top with the second egg, and sprig of chervil to garnish...