Silo’s Espresso Mushroom Broth
This beautiful winter warmer was created by Silo, the UK’s first zero waste restaurant which Espresso Mushroom Company supplies with their fresh mushrooms.
We love the simplicity of the broth, which brings out the rich nutty flavours of the mushrooms at their freshest, accompanied by multiple textures of the mushrooms, purple sprouting broccoli and chestnuts.
We were lucky enough to grab half an hour with their team to learn how to make this mushroom broth – you can use the ingredients below, or other vegetables in season.
- YIELD: 4 Servings
- PREP: 10 mins
- COOK: 20 mins
- READY IN: 30 mins
- 1 Bouquet of home grown oyster mushrooms
- 1 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 shallot
- 1 Dash of Rapeseed/Vegetable oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 5ml of White Wine/Malt Vinegar
- 1 50g of Finely Cut Purple Strip Broccoli
- 1 Cooked Chesnuts
- 1 Marjoram and Oregano
- THE BROTH Take all the chestnut mushrooms and the stems of the oyster mushrooms and cut into medium sized chunks. Sweat them in a medium hot pan with a dash of rapeseed oil for around 6 - 8 minutes to caramelise them, giving colour and flavour.
- Add finely sliced shallot, garlic and the thyme sprigs and sauté with the mushrooms for a further two minutes.
- Once the shallot starts to get translucent, deglaze the pan with a dash of vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to bring the all the flavour from the caramelized ingredients into the broth, then add all the water and stir it in together. Bring to the boil then allow to sit while the flavours infuse for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Strain the broth through a sieve.
- TO SERVE Take your remaining oyster mushrooms and tear into very fine strips, and put them in the individual bowls – perhaps 3 mushrooms per person.
- Slice the purple sprouting broccoli and cooked chestnuts into very fine strips and add them too, and add the herbs – perhaps some oregano and marjoram.
- Finally, pour the broth into the bowls, heating the vegetables through, and allowing them to retain their texture.
- Serve with a fresh chunk of wholemeal sourdough bread.